skip navigation

Make Sure You're Ready to Officiate This Season

By Ontario Minor Hockey Association, 08/31/23, 1:30PM EDT


Check and see if your CRC or VSC are up to date

The OMHA HCOP Membership Education Committee is excited for the upcoming 2023-24 season. Before the puck drops is the perfect time to ensure that you are prepared to register for your clinic (if needed) and be ready for the start of the season. Officials perform a vital role in our game and without you hockey would not happen.

ALL Officials Level 1 - 6 will be required to complete Online Modules which include the National Exam.

Eligibility for the 2023-2024 season requires the completion of your In-Person Recertification clinic registration and attendance (Level 1 - 3 Officials).

It will be necessary for officials to have a current valid Criminal Record Check (CRC) or Vulnerable Sector Screening Check (VSC) on file in the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR) in order to register for a clinic. Check your profile in the HCR to ensure that a current VSC is on file.

For terminology purposes, VSC and VSS are one and the same document.

Your HCR profile will show your current status, including expiry date. If your expiration date is prior to the 2023-24 season, you must obtain and submit a new Vulnerable Sector Screening Check (VSC) to the OHF before you will be able to register to recertify. 

Note: A VSC is only required once on your Hockey Canada Registry (HCR) profile.  If your VSC has Expired, then you need to provide a Criminal Record Check.

  • Officials aged 17 and under are Not required to provide a Criminal Record Check (CRC).
  • Officials aged 18 years and over must provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check (VSC).
  • When requesting the VSC, you may be required to provide a letter to your local police service.
  • if you have initiated the process of obtaining the VSC the receipt is acceptable for submission.
  • If your HCR profile indicates your VSC expiry beyond the 2023-24 season, you must complete, sign and submit the Criminal Offence Declaration Form to the OHF Office.

Completed CRC/VSC or Criminal Offence Declaration Forms can be scanned and emailed
If submitting via scan (PDF) and it is not deemed a true copy, submission of the original by mail will be requested (no pictures will be accepted).
Please contact the OMHA office if you have any questions on this process.

Like this article?

Share with your friends on Facebook and join the largest network of hockey parents.

you may also like