Photo Credit: Kevin Sousa Photography
With the release of the Hockey Canada and Ontario Hockey Federation Return to Hockey Guidelines, coaches can still prepare to maintain and renew their coaching qualifications. The Hockey Canada Board of Directors have announced that Members may resume sanctioned activities where appropriate , in accordance with government and public health authorities in Ontario.
At this time all coach qualification clinics are suspended until further notice.
In light of this, the OMHA has been taking steps to identify qualification maintenance opportunities for those coaches whose qualifications expire on August 31st, 2020 that can be completed by maintaining social distancing.
The communications below were sent to OMHA coaches on March 7th with the goal of identifying their options for renewal and maintenance. Depending on the coach’s current qualification status they would have received one of the following communications:
1) Coach 1 – Intro to Coach does not have a process to move from TRAINED to CERTIFIED.
2) Coach 1 – Intro to Coach does not have an expiry date.
3) Only coaches who hold a CERTFIED status at the Coach 2 – Coach Level, Development 1 or High Performance 1 level can obtain Professional Development (PD) points towards renewing their qualification.
4) Coach refresher clinics are no longer offered and are not an option for coaches looking to renew their qualification expiry date.
5) Development 1 Certified Legacy coaches are coaches who attended and passed a Development 1 clinic BEFORE July 1st, 2014.
We have also provided a list of Professional Development opportunities to those coaches who are seeking to obtain PD points from home.
Coaches can complete these modules through their Locker profile and earn Professional Development (PD) points towards the renewal of their Certified qualification. The chart below identifies the courses available, length of each course, PD points offered and cost:
|Course||Course Length||PD Points||Cost|
|NCCP Sport Nutrition||40-60 Minutes||5||$20.00|
|NCCP Coach Initiation in Sport||60 Minutes||5||$15.00|
|NCCP Coaching Athletes with a Disability||45-60 Minutes||5||$15.00|
|NCCP Making Head Way in Sport||60-90 Minutes||5||FREE|
|NCCP Emergency Action Plan||15 Minutes||1||FREE|
|NCCP Safe Sport||90 Minutes||2||FREE|
Finally, Coaches can also use the “Self Report” function through their Locker profile to report Active Years of Coaching and Self-Directed Learning (read a book, watch a video etc.). A coach can receive 5 PD points (1/year) for being active as a coach and an additional 3 PD points for reporting self-directed learning.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the OMHA Development department.
Share with your friends on Facebook and join the largest network of hockey parents.