In this edition of Chalk-Talk, we look at the the escape or ‘spin away’ move. This is a crucial skill that defencemen need to learn to shake a forechecker and avoid being checked.
Puck Control - Escapes
• Defencemen skate the drill backwards
• When they come to a
• pylon, turn away from it in an escape move fashion
• Shoot at the end of the drill
Key Teaching Points (KTP)
• Maintain your speed
• Bend your knees and keep good balance
• Control the puck keeping the full blade on the ice
• Turn your head and shoulder first into the escape turn
The following video provides some examples of game situations where defencemen use this skill to ‘escape’ the forecheck by protecting the puck, spinning away from pressure and accelerating out of the turn.
Your number one source for information about minor hockey, including tournament listings, clinic information, news, results, and resources for coaches, players and parents.